Tuesday, October 6, 2009

when it rains...

It wasn't really raining when I left the house. As I walked home from the post office with a heavy package under one arm and a wind-friskied umbrella in the other, it most definitely was.

Just as I was passing the chapel I heard a car pull over and a woman's voice say. "Can we give you a ride?" I turned. It was a small, silver brand new looking car. The driver and passenger were both under thirty and Asian. The car smelled like fried chicken.

"Thank you very much," I said.

"Oh, no problem," the driver answered as her friend shifted the Popeye's chicken bags to the other side of the backseat. I climbed in.

Some boppy music was playing on the radio. "Where are you heading?"

"Across from the community center."

"I'm not from here; You'll have to tell me where to go."

A stranger, stopped her car, and gave a ride to a young woman walking in the rain. She drove her home safely and asked nothing in return.

Just when you think the world is going to hell in a hand basket...

I leave you today with a quote from Homer's Odyssey, "All strangers and beggars are from Zeus, and a gift, though small, is precious."