Tuesday, September 8, 2009

So tell me what you want

This week the Spice Girls made me cry.

We were standing in the hanger bay during the friends and family day cruise listening to canned music coming from a sound system on a collapsible stage when "Wannabe" came on.

My first thought was "I can't believe there playing this song."

My second thought was a memory. I leaned on Grant's arm. "My cousins and I used to listen to this song. I think Kimmy and Lish even did a dance routine to it at one of their recitals." Actually I think the song they danced to was "Stop", but it seemed true at the time.

I remember jumping on the trampoline singing that song with them while they danced. In the memory the sun is shining over my grandparent's yard and the pool is open. Nicky is a blur of motion - in the pool, on the trampoline, jumping around the yard.

So much has changed in the last twelve or so years. I'm married and living in Japan. Kim and Alisha are in college. Jonathan has a job at an accounting firm. Erika just got engaged. Matthew lives in Florida. Noah turned 14 this week. And Nicky - I miss Nicky.

As the song played the sun was shining over the ocean where a Japanese Coast Guard ship kept pace with us. I pressed my face against Grant's arm to hide the tears.

I leave you today with a quote from an unknown sage, "A picture is worth a thousand words."