Friday, July 17, 2009

James and the giant blueberry

"Do you want to turn around?" My mother asked as we sped down US #1 through Columbia Falls, Maine.

"Yes. I have to take a picture of that."

We turned around and found an empty spot in the dust and rock parking lot. My eyes darted from the blue painted round ship's buoys beached around the edge of the lot, to the red poppies growing in front of the door, to the building, a huge geodesic dome painted the same bright blue as the buoys.

"This is fantastic," I said as I climbed on top of a rock to get a picture.



The sign over the door read Wild Blueberry Land. And that is what we found inside. They sold blueberry pie and blueberry muffins, blueberry honey and blueberry truffles, blueberry butter, blueberry jam and even a couple of cranberry products just for good measure.



Above our heads we could see the triangle-beam forms supporting the structure. At the very apex a disco ball hung above a wooden pentagon.


"Why?" A customer asked.


The clerk didn't know.


One segment of the room was devoted to toys and games. Between the stuffed animals and the bouncy balls a golden throne stood on a small dais beneath a stuffed moose head. Mounted plates held a king's crown and queen's tiara.


I of course sat in the throne, put on the tiara and let my mother take my picture. Though I may never live it down I'll post it here.




I leave you today with the Marin Independent Journal's TV listing for "The Wizard of Oz" movie, "Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first woman she meets and then teams up with three complete strangers to kill again."